Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

FAQ
Last visit was: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 am
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 am

[ 1 post ] 
 Fresh Reviews Music: Passage in Time - Authority Zero 

Post Fresh Reviews Music: Passage in Time - Authority Zero
Fresh Reviews Music: Passage in Time - Authority Zero
by: Cliff Faded

Authority Zero is a punk rock outfit that has been alive more than 10 years now – close to 16 years now. Originally from Mesa, Arizona, this aggressive group has been writing solid music and even more solid live shows since 1994. Today, I will be reviewing their debut hit – A Passage in Time.

Out in 2002 on Lava Records, it burst onto the catchy songs such as “Passage in Time” and “One More Minute” and featured a tasteful mish-mash of unrelenting punk rock, groovy reggae and suave Spanish influences.

The listener is lulled in by “Papa” and then Jason DeVore rips out soaring vocal melody on “Passage in Time”. Song transits into a frenetic pace. Starts speedy and goes into a groovy ska middle followed by a bluesy interplay between the bass and guitar. Only one song and we're taken through a couple of genres already.

Third tune is “Lying Awake” which doesn't halt the tempo and spins into a fast thrash beat. The great trait about Authority Zero is that they never compromise their catchy hooks and melodic singing for the sole reason blazing punk rock. Even with the underlying thrash beat present, Jason DeVore keeps the melody (and harmonies!) soaring while Bill Marcks and Jeremy Wood keep the rhythm section pulsating. The pace doesn't let up with my personal favourite (and also the song that got me into Authority Zero in the first place) is “Everyday”. Beginning with a interesting riff and burst over the speakers. The catchy as hell verses and even catchier then hell chorus will stick in your brain for a long time to come. Finally, they slow down and soothe you with their very Spanishy song, “One More Minute”. The raw talent of vocalist is on display here and the guitar lead section also features a killer bassline by Bill Marcks.

The thing I adore Authority Zero is to combine all their influences and do it well. A lot of bands try to get all creative and try to “not sound like every other band and have our own unique sound” but result sounding like complete rubbish. Moreover, some of their lyrics are downright clever and well thought out. And some very motivational (but not in a Hillsong kinda way). Songs like “Everyday” :

But hey, everyday, I'll pick my feet up off the ground

And everyday you'll see, I don't make believe

That everything is okay, but in the end

The life that you choose to lead is your fate'

Good stuff, especially in today's emo-plagued earth where every teenager's into wrist slitting (if they killed themselves it's alright but they just do some lame mutilation. They are able to melt positive punk messages into their infectious tunes without sounding preachy.

Other memorable tunes on this album are ”La Surf” and “Good Ol' Days” but it doesn't mean the rest of the record isn't good. You are sure to enjoy this 42.51 minutes of this punk rock treat. Please kill Simple Plan.

About The Author
Cliff Faded is a big fan of Authority Zero Music. You can read more reviews of albums by Authority Zero at his blog - Authority Zero Music
The author invites you to visit:
http://authority-zero-music.blogspot.com

Copyright © 2001-Present by ArticleCity.com
This article was posted by permission.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm
 [ 1 post ]