Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

Last visit was: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm
It is currently Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm

 [ 1 post ] 
 Prevent Pets From Being Poisoned By Household Items 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 45372
Post Prevent Pets From Being Poisoned By Household Items
Prevent Pets From Being Poisoned By Household Items
by: Josie Anderson

Your dog or cat could easily be poisoned by items that you have around the house. Although you might not think of chocolate, paracetamol or lilies as being poisonous – they can in fact be deadly to your beloved pet.

According to the Vet Poisons Information service, it is very common for a pet to be poisoned in their own home. Some common substances which are poisonous to pets include:

Vermin poison: you might be trying to get rid of unwanted rodents or slugs, but these chemicals can cause excessive internal bruising or bleeding in your pet if ingested. The effects might not be immediately obvious, but the results are very serious.

Paracetamol: this drug might relieve you of a headache, but animals are very sensitive to paracetamol and even a small amount can be extremely harmful. Ibuprofen is also particularly dangerous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, gastric ulceration and kidney failure.

Chocolate: we all love a bit of chocolate, but this sweet treat contains theobromine, a chemical very similar to caffeine, which is not good for your pet to eat. Dark chocolate is very high in theobromine and even a small piece could cause tremors, convulsions and heart problems for your pet.

Lilies: these beautiful flowers are very poisonous to cats and can lead to kidney failure. The whole plant is poisonous, and even a brief exposure to the pollen can be potentially very dangerous to a cat.

Grapes, raisins and sultanas: these dried fruits taste great on cereal. You might not think twice if one dropped on the floor and your dog had a little nibble. However, grapes, raisins and sultanas can cause kidney failure in dogs. Not all dogs are sensitive to this food, but it is better not to take a risk.

Sweeteners: artificial sweeteners, such as xylitol, are used in sugar-free chewing gums and sweets and are extremely harmful to dogs. Although you may have a sweet tooth, if your dog ingests xylitol, it can cause low blood sugar and liver damage.

If you think your pet has been poisoned, you should contact your local veterinary practice immediately. Time is of the essence! Take a sample of the substance ingested to give to your vet, as this will help them assess and treat your animal. If you have pet insurance, you won’t need to worry about vet’s bills either. Some insurers will cover you for up to £7,000 in a year if your pet becomes ill or has an accident. You won’t even have to be out of pocket if your pet falls ill, as some insurers will pay your vet directly, provided they’re set up to receive payments.

Rather than a trip to the vets, however, it’s best to just keep your pet out of harms way and make sure they only eat what they’re supposed to.

About The Author
Offering a range of financial, travel and leisure services Greenbee is selected by the John Lewis Partnership. These include car, home, life, travel, wedding, event and pet insurance ( products along with travel offers and the latest theatre, event, music and sport tickets.
The author invites you to visit:

Copyright © 2001-Present by
This article was posted by permission.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am
 [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.