Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

FAQ
Last visit was: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 am
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 am

[ 1 post ] 
 "...A Muscat Ottonel From Serbia" 

Post "...A Muscat Ottonel From Serbia"
A Wine Lover's Weekly Guide To $10 Wines - A Muscat Ottonel From Serbia
by: Levi Reiss

You may recall that several months ago we reviewed our first Serbian wine, a Riesling from this very producer. Today's wine is also white, based on the Muscat Ottonel grape, one of the many members of the Muscat family. Muscat Ottonel is often used in dessert wines. The producer, Navip, is the largest wine exporter in ex-Yugoslavia. According to their website, Navip exports two million tons of wine a year. That's a lot of bottles. They have made a major commitment to organic wine, but at the time of this writing their organic wine is still not available locally. By the way, they also make Slivovitz, plum brandy.

OUR WINE REVIEW POLICY All wines that we taste and review were purchased at the full retail price.

Wine Reviewed Navip Muscat Ottonel 2007 12.0% alcohol about $8

Let's start by quoting the marketing materials. Tasting Note: Deep lemon color; dry and fruity with honeycomb, floral, spice aromas and flavors; crisp, clean finish. Serving Suggestion: Asian foods; spicy sausage. And now for my review.

At the first sips the wine tasted of lemon. It had moderate acidity and was fairly short. Its first pairing was with slow cooked beef ribs that were accompanied by sliced potatoes and a tomato, onion, lime, cilantro and green pepper salsa that was more spicy than I would have preferred. The acidity was fine for the meat and potatoes and there was a little bit of lemon. This wine and this meal didn't really gel - I definitely never blame the wine for not succeeding in a non-traditional pairing. Dessert was orange-flavored fruit candy; things worked better. The dominant taste was almonds and there was some honey as well.

The next meal was a more traditional pairing for a white wine. It was a commercial bar-be-cued chicken accompanied by potatoes that were roasted in chicken fat and an oriental tomato salad that was moderately spicy. The Muscat was lemony with crisp acidity when paired with the chicken breast; it seemed to grow to meet the stronger tasting, less dry chicken leg. But it backed down when facing the potatoes and even more so when paired with the salad.

My final meal involved a portobello mushroom omelet. The wine was lemony and not very sweet. It had unbalanced acidity. Dessert was a high-quality French-style lemon pie with a very buttery crust. And now the Muscat was flat and tasteless.

I ended the bottle with two local cheeses. But first came some Matjes herring. Here the wine did better. It was somewhat nutty; there was lemon and refreshing acidity. First came the brick cheese. The cheese was flat, and the wine was flat. Does this mean that they paired well? With a tastier Swiss cheese the wine was nicely acidic and long but didn't have a lot of fruit.

Final verdict. I don't plan on buying this wine again. It really wasn't very tasty. But at this low price you could definitely do worse.

About The Author
Levi Reiss is a real wine lover. Every week he tastes the same meals with two wines, one under the magic figure of $10 and one that is more expensive, sometimes much more expensive. Why waste your hard-earned money but trying to unearth the occasional bargain? His global wine website http://www.theworldwidewine.com carries these weekly reviews and a whole lot more from wine trivia to wine humor.
The author invites you to visit:
http://www.theworldwidewine.com

Copyright © 2001-Present ArticleCity.com
[Note: Due to a size limitation, the title, above, had to be abbreviated. Apologies to the author and ArticleCity.com. - Admin]
This article was posted by permission.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:04 pm
 [ 1 post ]