Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

Last visit was: Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 pm
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 pm

 [ 1 post ] 
 How to Change the Deed or Title to Your Home 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 45372
Post How to Change the Deed or Title to Your Home
How to Change the Deed or Title to Your Home
by: Kristie Lorette

When you buy or receive a home as a gift, the deed to the home is the written proof of ownership of the home. It is also referred to as a title. If you need to change the deed on your home because of a name change resulting from a marriage or a divorce, it is a simple process that typically takes about 30 days to complete. Other reasons you may change a deed include death, inheritance, adding a new spouse or adding a child's name.

Step 1

Gather documents. In order to start the name change process for your deed, first get together the necessary documentation. For a name change, you'll need your name change document. For a marriage, a copy of your marriage license is required. For a divorce, you'll need a divorce decree and for a death, you may have to provide a copy of the death certificate, as well as the will that turned ownership of the home over to you. If you are adding a child's name to your deed, you will need the child's birth certificate.

Step 2

Call the title company and inform them that you want to change the name on your home deed, and explain your reason. Title companies usually require you to complete an application and request a picture ID, as well as the appropriate documentation to begin the change process on the deed.

Step 3

Pay the title company. In order to change the name, or add or remove a name on the home deed, the title company collects a fee for their services. The fee covers the time it takes to prepare the new deed and file it with the county clerk’s office where the home is located.

Step 4

Obtain new deed. When the new deed is recorded in the public records by the title company, you will also receive a copy of the deed with the new names on it. File the deed in a safe place as your proof of ownership of the home.


If you prefer, you can use a real estate attorney to help you change the deed on your home.

About The Author
Kristie Lorette is a freelance writer and marketing consultant that specializes in personal finance. She is also the editor of The Mortgage & Credit Diva, a blog devoted to mortgage and personal finance tips, tricks, and advice for consumers. You can read Kristie’s blog at or learn more about her writing and marketing services at
The author invites you to visit:

Copyright © 2001-Present by
This article was posted by permission.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:53 am
 [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.