Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

FAQ
Last visit was: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm

[ 1 post ] 
 What Can I Expect From My First Kiteboarding Lesson 

Post What Can I Expect From My First Kiteboarding Lesson
What Can I Expect From My First Kiteboarding Lesson
by: Pete O'Keefe

Kiteboarding is great fun and when learnt correctly a beginner kiteboarder can progress into a very competent kiteboarder in the course of a season,which is usually around six months.

When Looking to book a lesson you have several options available. Most Schools will offer the option of a private one on one coaching lesson. This option is generally considered the best as you will get personalized instruction and maximum time on the kite.But you will also pay more for this type of lesson. The other option is to be part of a group lesson,which will suit many people as you will still get an excellent introduction to the sport for less cost.Ive found that some people prefer the group lesson as they tend to be a little more relaxed and can learn from watching how the other students perfom.

Whether in a group or going for the private option the lesson content should remain the same. The majority of schools these days are members and are certified by an approved training provider like the IKO International Kiteboarding Organization. This requires them to teach students to the standards set out by the training body.

In your first kiteboarding lesson you can expect to learn :

* How to choose a safe place to set up and go kiteboarding
* How the wind,weather and the ocean can effect your decision to go kiteboarding safely
* How the wind window works and how it affects your kite
* Settting up of a trainer foil kite
* Fly the trainer foil kite within the wind window to practice good piloting skills
* How to set up an inflatable kite ready for launch
* Learn how all the quick release safety systems operate on the kite and bar
* Practice activating the quick release safety system’s in the correct order and operation
* Assist in launching kite for instructor
* Fly an inflatable kite unhooked and in underpowered conditions
* Fly an inflatable kite hooked into the harness in underpowered conditions
* Activate the ckicken loop safety in underpowered conditions and recover the kite
* Land the kite with the aid of an assistant
* Self land and secure the kite
* Packing up procedure for your bar,lines and kite

Most beginner lessons will generally run for about 2 hours. Some schools will offer longer lesson times and kitesurf clinics. In my experience as a school operator and as a level 2 IKO instructor the longer lessons are generally quite beneficial to students. If the conditions are favorable the student can learn a lot more in say 6 hours than if they were to have three 2 hour lesson’s on different days. I have seen students manage to progress from basic piloting to riding the board in one day. Not all students will be able to endure six hours of kitesurfing lesson’s though and once a student begins to tire I usually either give them a break or look to finish the lesson soon.

If you have your lesson with a school or instructor affiliated with the IKO then you should receive an IKO kiteboarders card at the end of the lesson. This card is proof that you have had lessons and will indicate the level that you have achieved. This card is handy when looking to hire gear.

My advice is to look for a recognized kiteboarding school providing qualified and insured instructors. This should enure that you are trained on the right gear and in safe conditions.

Kitesurfing is a blast go and book a lesson today, you wont regret it !

Pete O'Keefe
Stringmonkey Kite Surfing Instructor
Adrenalin Kite http://www.adrenalinkite.com

About The Author
I'm a Kite Surf Instructor who lives on the Sapphire Coast of NSW. I just love the sport and I'm teaching others who are interested. I am part of a web design team which is developing a Kite Surfing Directory for all things to do with kite surfing. Check it out at Adrenalin Kite http://www.adrenalinkite.com

Visit the author's web site at:
http://www.adrenalinkite.com

Copyright © 2001-Present by ArticleCity.com
This article was posted by permission.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 am
 [ 1 post ]