Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

FAQ
Last visit was: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 am
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 am

[ 1 post ] 
 Washing Your Boat 

Post Washing Your Boat
Washing Your Boat
by: Christopher Eggert

First and foremost washing your boat on regular basis is the first step to keeping your vessel in great shape. Before you start you need to get a couple of things together.

Boat soap- Boat soaps are less damaging than household detergents (i.e. Dawn dish soap) these will take wax off. If you are washing your boat to prep it for compounding and or polishing, I recommend these stronger soaps which will remove the wax . I found that when buffing over wax it can leave swirl marks and foggy spots. But that’s another article.

I recommend All Purpose Boat Soap-by Interlux

You will also need a good soft bristle deck brush. Hard deck brushes will scratch the fiberglass. It is also important not to scrub any isinglass or plastics, for they will scratch. Get your self a good bucket, sponge and a hose with access to water. Now that we have all our gear it is time to begin.

Rinse off your boat from top to bottom to get off lose dirt and grime and don’t forget to rinse the rigging and your outboard if you have one. Next wash boat with soap and rinse. Wipe boat down with Squeegee or shammy to remove water spot. I personally like the boat squeegee but I usually use both.

Now for the fun part, waxing!

If you have a couple stains or leftover water spots I recommend using a fiberglass cleaner or pre wax cleaner to remove these spots, especially bird dropping. I like Collinite products they seem to work the best for me.

Paste Or Liquid? Both are okay to use, but usually paste last longer than liquid waxes. I recommend waxing by hand. Machines just don’t cut it. My favorite wax is Collinite Fleet wax. It is a past and a little tricky to use but holds up the best. The trick to this wax is to put it on, say 2’ x 2" section count to 10 and take it off. If you wait to long good luck getting it off. Note: you might want to move a little faster in direct sun light.

Here are a couple of quick tips.

Cleaning windows and glass use rubbing alcohol, but don’t get it on the rubber. That will dry it out and will crack. This is the best for cleaning glass.

For cleaning isinglass and plastic try Mequiars PlastXTM Clear Plastic Cleaner and

Polish.

Don’t forget to wax your chrome and stainless.

This Tip is VERY VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT WAX THE TOP OF YOUR TOE RAIL. I can’t express this enough and have seen it first hand what can happen. SPLASH- MAN OVER BAORD. Trust me it is not a pretty site. I recommend hand compounding to keep up the shine.

Well, I hope this has been helpful in getting your boat clean. The products that I have recommended are products that have worked best for me. As a detailer for the last 6 years looking for the best products can be a job in its self. So always, please always read the direction on any product you use.

Happy Boating

About The Author
Chris has been in the deatailing and compound buisness for the past 8 years. Owner operater of Abuff company in stuart Florida selling Aqua Buff Products.

http://www.aqua-buff.com

Copyright © 2001-Present by ArticleCity.com
This article was posted by permission.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 am
 [ 1 post ]