Thanks For Using The Performance of a Lifetime!

Chatroom Auctions & Paid Classifides DDDPL's Additional Job Search

FAQ
Last visit was: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:36 am
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:36 am

[ 1 post ] 
 Make Astra 4000U Work In Windows 7 Environment (Work-Around) 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Make Astra 4000U Work In Windows 7 Environment (Work-Around)
PROBLEM: My Umax Astra 4000U Scanner worked fine, on my XP machine, but stopped working when I switched over to a Windows 7 computer.

SOLUTION: Briefly, I resolved this problem, by, first, creating a separate “virtual XP computer” inside my physical Windows 7 computer. Then I connected the virtual system to the scanner-related hardware. After that, the scanner worked fine.

Notes: i) One needs a large hard drive in order for this work-around to work. My hard drive is 1 TB. From this, during installation, the work-around took 40 GB of disc space.

ii) This work-around will probably take a long time to complete, because the underlying OS will likely take a long time to update. So, be prepared for a long wait!

STEPS:

1. I downloaded freeware called: “VMware Player” (http://www.vmware.com) and installed it directly in my Windows 7 computer.

2. Using VMwarePlayer’s “Create A New Virtual Machine” wizard, I created the new XP ‘computer’. I had to provide the wizard with my XP’s “Product Key”. I named my new machine “Windows XP Home Edition”. The wizard confirmed, with me, how much disc space and how many CPUs were going to be use. After that, it just went ahead and installed the XP - fast and easy!

3. After installation, in the left column, I clicked on “Windows XP Home Edition” and, in the right column, clicked: “Play virtual machine”. Then the new instance of XP booted.

4. a) Since this XP machine was, now, like a separate computer, I then had to treat it like one. This meant that I had to make sure there were all the usual security features, in place. So, I started by turning on my XP’s fire wall.

b) After the XP finished updating, from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials (free virus scanner). I also installed Spybot - despite both programs were already on my Windows 7 machine.

5. Then I let my XP continue updating. (This took a long, long time!)

6. Since my scanner was already plugged into the back of my physical Windows 7 machine, I turned the scanner on. Then, using the icons listed at the bottom of VMwarePlayer’s outer edge, I connected “Umax USB Device” and “I\O Interconnect IOI Smart Reader” to my VMwarePlayer. I did this, by right-clicking each icon and then clicking the connect command (a little green dot should appear on each icon, when properly-connected).

7. Then I re-booted my virtual XP and the scanner worked fine.

8. I also installed my old Coral Paint, on the XP, in order to receive image scans.

9. After that, I would save to an exterior drive and then transfer the image files, from that, to my Windows 7's hard drive where my other programs could utilize the scans.

10. Every time I want to use my Astra 4000U scanner, now, however I have to go through the virtual XP machine, but I don't mind!

Good luck!

- mac

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:45 pm
 [ 1 post ]